2022 Data-Intensive Research Conference
July 18-19, 2022 | Minneapolis, MN
The workshop will be held July 18-19, 2022 at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. We are planning on an in-person workshop; however, we continue to monitor the public health situation related to COVID-19 and will convert to a fully virtual event if warranted. The deadline to apply is
Monday, April 11, 2022 Tuesday, April 26, 2022.
This workshop is designed to familiarize participants with freely available population data resources from IPUMS related to the conference theme of Contextualizing Work and Health Disparities across the Life Course. The workshop will prepare researchers to make use of large and complex datasets for studying work and health for an aging population and with a life course perspective. We expect workshop participants will also attend the Data-Intensive Research Conference on July 20-21.
The workshop is targeted towards scholars who have worked with quantitative data, but are relatively new to using IPUMS data for studying aging and the later life course; this includes graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, early career faculty, or experienced scholars developing a new line of research. The workshop will include:
- presentations from the research teams responsible for the IPUMS data collections,
- lab sessions that provide hands-on experience using IPUMS data, and
- opportunities to discuss research ideas with workshop facilitators others who have similar interests.
The pre-conference workshop will be held in conjunction with a workshop hosted by NCHAT. Pre-conference workshop attendees may choose to participate in cross-over sessions to learn more about NCHAT data.
April 26, 2022: Workshop applications due May 2022: Notification about selection for pre-conference workshop (including travel support to attend), conference program published, conference registration opens June 30, 2022: Conference Registration Due
- July 18-19, 2022: Pre-conference workshop
- July 20-21, 2022: Data-Intensive Research Conference
All times are in Central Time
Monday, July 18, 2022
- 9:00-10:00 Welcome and introductions
- 10:00-11:00 History of IPUMS
- 11:00-12:00 Overview of IPUMS data collections
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:30 Hands-on Session 1: Getting started with IPUMS
- 2:30-4:00 Hands-on Session 2: Work and Health across the Life Course
- 4:00-5:00 Social Hour
Tuesday, July 19, 2022
- 8:00-9:00 Networking breakfast
- 9:00-10:30 Using IPUMS data to explore work and health
- 10:45-11:30 IPUMS Data Deep Dive*^ Session 1
- 11:45-12:30 IPUMS Data Deep Dive*^ Session 2
- 12:30-2:00 Research round table lunch discussion
- 2:00-3:15 Hands-on Session 1: Specialty Topics in IPUMS data* ^
- 3:15-4:30 Hands-on Session 2: Specialty Topics in IPUMS data* ^
*IPUMS Data Deep Dive presentations and Specialty Topics in IPUMS Data hands-on sessions will be tailored based on participant interest, but may include detailed information about specific data collections, complex variables (e.g., defining families, capturing transitions, harmonized measures of occupation and industry), or leveraging unique aspects of specific data collections (e.g., panel datasets).
^ Pre-conference workshop attendees may choose to complete an NCHAT workshop track for these sessions to learn more about this specific data collection.
Support for this workshop is provided by the University of Minnesota’s Life Course Center (1P30AG066613-01).